Did some tweaking today

Geek Post 🤓

I still have some hacking to do on the theme for Pipfrosch Press but I did a few server related adjustments.

Set up DNSSEC which means nothing to most people, but its a security benefit for those who use DNSSEC enforcing resolvers.

Also set up TLSA but it won’t take effect until the next automated DNS update (added the record to my DNS database but chose not trigger immediate rebuilding of the zone file). What TLSA does is it leverages DNSSEC to provide an extra security layer to the authenticity of the TLS (SSL) certificate. If the signature of the public key in the certificate does not match the signature in DNS secured by DNSSEC then the certificate is considered invalid. Mail servers implement it, but web browsers do not yet for some reason, hence why there was no rush rebuilt the zone file. It rebuilds every 24 hours anyway.

Set up the proper MIME type and browser caching of the web fonts. That is critical. Most browsers will forgive the lack of defined MIME type but they actually shouldn’t in my opinion. However the lack of caching instructions will result in a lot of unnecessary requests to the server to ask if the version of the file it has is still valid. By setting a cache time, the browser does not ask until that time expires reducing the requests.

I enabled brotli compression, if your browser supports it it makes transfer a little faster. Most browsers do.

I haven’t set up instructions yet for caching CSS/JS files and I won’t until I am finished hacking the theme.

Speed tests will complain that many of the CSS/JS files are not minified. Bunch of 💩. Yes, minifying the files reduces their size, but white space compresses very well so with brotli compression I do not believe there is much of a transfer difference.

Compressed CSS/JS are very hard to read. When someone is having issues with the site and has the technical ability to find the problem and give me a very detailed explanation, having those files minified makes it harder for them. Things like jQuery, sure, that should be minified. But stuff in the theme I do not believe they should be.

Noticed that the CSS file for the mobile friendly menu is a big honking fat CSS file. I may try to implement that feature in the theme itself so I do not need that plugin. I have some gripes about that plugin anyway. Better than default handling of the navigation menu in WordPress but I still have major gripes about it. The fat CSS file is because the plugin has far more capabilities than what I care for, so just hacking the theme for the specifics I need is probably the best solution and I can fix the gripes I have. But that is shelved for later.

As far as the theme goes, I think this is WordPress itself or maybe the classic editor I am using, if I add an XML entity in Text mode it converts it to the unicode character automatically. I do not want that. I think the theme (in the functions.php file) is probably the place to disable whatever script is doing that but I have not yet investigated it. I do not mind it being converted in Visual editing mode, but if in Text editing mode if I enter an entity I want it to stay as an entity. I frequently manually enter ‘, ’, “, ”, –, and &8212; and when automatically converted they are hard for me to visually distinguish. Hence why I specifically want them as entities in the code itself.

I’m thinking about combining the CSS for the webfonts into a single file, that will reduce number of connections. Not by much, but enough.

Anyway I’m done for now. Will work on getting the preview version of the first ePub up.


Leave a Reply to pipfrosch Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *